Wednesday, October 3, 2012


Running Free

You are not me
and I- am not you-
and no one,
should try to frame you-
other than to idolize you!

Mi querido taíno...
I bare no witness
to the goods you
put on this here
¡Borikén! la patria, 
la isla linda...
¡LA ISLA DEL ENCANTO!

But all that means
mayani
to you!

¡Tú! 
    ¡y yo!
mi taíno-
hablamos 
lenguas muertas

¡Mi taíno!
I bare no witness
to the crimes committed
against you...
and you’d spit on me,
¡MI ANCESTRO!

Speaking their tongue
Wearing their clothes
walking in their ways...

¡Qué infamia!
¡mi ancestro, mi patria!
¡Qué me convertí en ello’!


The blood that runs
through my veins...
is filled with the spirit 
of your strength!
and-      you flow-
through the land,
like Yemayá through
the rivers of la isla. 
Mi ancestro, mi patria
I bare witness to-
what’s left of your home.
de lo que queda de tus ríos
de lo que queda de tus mares
de las montañas, del paraíso-
concretado
Mi indio querido, 
your spirit runs
through the shores,
still-
your voice is the wind
that carries the storm,
it’s the force in the forests
that remain,

Mi ancestro, amor
I’ll climb any-
I’ll climb every-
mountain top that remains
untouched-
and I’ll still find you-
I still feel you

running free

No comments:

Post a Comment